As you can tell, I'm obsessed with seafood and these oyster tacos are so easy to make...they are a great quick Saturday night dinner. I usually make my oyster tacos with a flour based / beer batter, but this time around I tried this recipe and I love the crunch that it gave it https://beyondmeresustenance.com/fried-oyster-tacos-citrus-salsa/ AND I love citrus salsas – I have used them for salmon tacos (look at week 2), but I was picking up my produce and I saw this pretty dragon fruit and opted to do a dragon fruit salsa. I served these tacos with a bowl of mussels that I made with hatch chile broth. Look for that recipe too.
Serves 6 street tacos
12 – 16 oysters
* Note: I got mine fresh in the shell which if you have an awesome fishmonger just have him shuck them for you – will save you some time. I made the tacos with 4” tortillas (street taco size) – calculate about 2 oysters per taco. If you are using 6” you will want to adjust to 3 oysters per taco.
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup buttermilk
1 small egg
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegetable Oil for frying
White Corn Tortillas 4”
• 1 Dragon Fruit (large)
• 2 Green Onions (chopped only green parts)
• 1 Grapefruit (large, cut in sections, no seeds)
• 2 Jalapenos finely chopped
• Cilantro bunch chopped
• Juice of 1 lemon
• Zest of 1 lemon
• Salt to taste
• Napa Cabbage finely shredded
• Avocado slices
Start by making your salsa. Cube your dragon fruit as you would with a tomato salsa. Next combine your remaining ingredients and salt to taste. If your dragon fruit is not acidic enough, add more lemon juice or even a little lime juice. Set it in the refrigerator so it’s nice and cold for serving.
Heat up your oil 375. Set 2 bowls, 1 with buttermilk/egg mix and the other one with cornmeal, salt and pepper. Pat dry your oysters and pass them through the buttermilk and then pat them on cornmeal mix. Immediately set in the fryer – fry until golden (about 3 minutes total). Take out and place on a plate with a paper towel.
Heat up your corn tortillas with a little vegetable oil or butter.
Set up your tortilla and add shredded cabbage. Add 2 oysters and top with dragon fruit salsa and avocado slice. Serve with a lime.